The restoration and conservative redevelopment project of the Cinema Troisi was elaborated by architects Claudia Tombini and Raffaella Moscaggiuri, in constant dialogue with the association Piccolo America, with the aim of also repurposing some existing rooms. While the uniqueness of the cinema hall, with 298 seats plus two seats for disabled people, is preserved, the foyer-bar is flexibly rearranged as a video library, film library, exhibition space, info point and internet stations. A special feature of this space is the circular counter, present since the first design concept, both to increase its surface area and to remember the functional circularity of the entire structure of the GIL designed by Luigi Moretti, unfortunately interrupted today by the subdivision of the building.
The interventions consisted of a complete restoration, which led to the rediscovery of the Carrara marble floors from 1933 and some bas-reliefs, the adaptation of emergency exits and escape routes, the complete demolition and reconstruction of the air conditioning, water and electrical systems, the replacement of all soundproofing walls, the substitution of every textile and furnishing material, and the digitization of the projection booth. However, the most complex intervention was the relocation of the ventilation systems, which allowed the creation, inside the former boiler room, of a 150-square-meter study room with 45 single study stations. In the same room, the original window was restored, which restored the axial correspondence, designed by Luigi Moretti, between the two adjacent buildings on the first terrace. This area, previously unused, now hosts an additional outdoor study area in continuity with the internal one, with thirty additional stations, also equipped with Wi-Fi, like the rest of the entire structure, thanks to the digital sponsor TIM.
The restoration activities were carried out under the supervision of the Special Superintendency for Archaeology, Fine Arts and Landscape of Rome.